Monday, May 09, 2022

Beer of the Week: Geary's Hampshire Special Ale

Beer score: 3.4

Company: Geary Brewing Co.
ABV: 7.0
IBU: 48

Way back when I first tried this beer in the winter of 1996, it was a seasonal Christmas beer. Since then it has become a regular, full-year beer from the Geary folks. Unfortunately, despite the fact I've had some good beers from these people, this isn't one of them.

From the bottle to the glass it pours a brownish amber color that's quite nice, then the smell hits you with a dark fruitiness scent mixed with dark bread.

That dark fruit and bread sensation continues with the flavors, along with spices and cinnamon. Basically, it tastes like a Christmas beer, and I've never been a fan of such beers.

This one is on me. It's a matter of personal preference. If you like those wintery, nutmeg-esque beers, you might enjoy this one. But I've had it a few times over the decades and still can't say I care much for it. Though there are far worse beers out there, even worse winter beers.

No comments: