Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Books read in 2022: No. 17 -- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

by Ken Kesey

Started: June 3
Finished: Jun 15

Notes: To tell it like it is, I've had this book on my to-be-read pile for some while now, but today I was packing to hit the road for a mountain trip this weekend and I wanted a small paperback for ease of carrying. This book was the choice. No, I've not seen the famous 1970s movie based upon this novel, but it's been such a part of culture that I at least know a little about it. Hopefully the novel will be as good.

Mini review: It's a strong novel. The writing isn't the best I've ever read, a little slow in places, but it makes up for it in characterization and to some extent in plot. Even though I've not seen the movie, I am familiar with the actors in the movie, and this book seems as if it was written with those very actors in mind (which is not the case since the novel came first, but somebody did some great casting). The ending was not quite sad for me, mainly because it seemed so inevitable, and in a way showed a spark of hope. It also begs the question of why society/culture has to destroy parts of itself from time to time.

No comments: