Saturday, October 08, 2022

Books read in 2022: No. 28 -- Demons Don't Dream

by Piers Anthony

Started: Sept. 16
Finished: Oct. 8

Notes: Somehow or other I've made it all these decades without having read a Xanth novel, or for that matter anything by Piers Anthony. So I thought it high time I fix that situation. I picked this one by happenstance, having come across it in a used book store a while back.

Mini review: A teen boy and girl are pulled by a computer into the world of Xanth where they take part in a game for a prize. Along the way they make companions, meet lots of strange beings, and visit plenty of fantastical places. If you're one who enjoys silliness and especially puns, this one should be for you. Unfortunately, while I could enjoy this book, it wasn't what I was really in the mood for. The writing was good enough and the ending was actually quite nice, but I suppose my state of mind was seeking something more serious. That doesn't mean I won't give Piers Anthony another try at some point, but either I'll try on of his non-Xanth books or I'll make sure I'm in a goofy state of mind before I start a Xanth book.

No comments: