Monday, October 02, 2023

Beer of the Week: Anchor Porter

Beer score: 7.1

Company: Anchor Brewing Company
ABV: 5.6
IBU: 40

I hadn't had any of the excellent beers from this company in a while, but since it was announced a few months ago that they were going out of business, I thought I should try the beers again while I had the chance. On the upside, there apparently is talk of the company's employees taking over and purchasing the business, so maybe there's hope yet.

Anyway, this one pours a nice dark color reminiscent of good porters, almost as dark as a stout. Comes with a nice foamy head well giving off smells of coffee and roasted chocolate.

Has a strong maple flavor that is likely too complicated for novice beer drinkers to truly enjoy (yes, I realize I sound elitist here), and has the thick, heavy texture of a stout. This one is a bit dry on the tongue, and also gives off flavors of toffee, coffee, chocolate, and perhaps some caramel.

Not the most superb of brews, but still pretty damn good and definitely worth tasting. I'd never turn one down.

No comments: