Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Books read in 2023: No. 36 -- The Sunset Warrior

by Eric Van Lustbader

Started: Nov. 26
Finished: Nov. 29

Notes: I've gone all this year reading next to no speculative fiction and definitely no fantasy fiction, so I thought it time to change that before 2023 comes to and end. Also, I've been meaning to read this author for decades now, and I'm finally taking the plunge.

Mini review: The world has frozen over and humanity has been forced to move far underground in order to survive. Here society has become something of a caste system, though one swordsman refuses to bend the knee to any even when civil war appears to be looming among the powerful. Secrets loom and the swordsman finds himself on a quest to learn the truth of not only his reality, but that of all humanity. Mostly a novel of political intrigue, the action quotient kicks up near the end. Also, several revelations near the end were quite surprising to me, which is not usually the case for me. The writing style here reminded me somewhat of Michael Moorcock but without the finesse, which is not a bad thing. The first novel in a trilogy, I'll have to keep my eyes pealed for the other books in the series.

No comments: