Friday, December 15, 2023

Books read in 2023: No. 40 -- Enchanted Pilgrimage

by Clifford D. Simak

Started: Dec. 12
Finished: Dec. 15

Notes: I traveled for a week to Myrtle Beach recently and I had taken a book with me to read while there. As things turned out, I finished that book and needed something else to read, so I dropped in the Back Again Book Shop, a charming little place, and picked up a handful of books, some new, some used. I picked up this particular fantasy novel because of the author, someone with whom I am unfamiliar, so I look forward to trying out a writer new to me.

Mini review: A young scholar in a fantasy world makes a discovery in a university library, the discovery sending him off on a quest with a gnome, a goblin, and many more friends. This was a rather quaint book, reminding me some of the fantasy writings of C.S. Lewis though this novel was not quite so innocent as the writings of Lewis. The writing here was fair, though not great, yet the characters were interesting despite there not being much depth to them. The plot is a straight-forward quest, but the ultimate goal is not always set in stone. Would I read more from this author? I believe I would, so I'll have to keep an eye out for more of his works.

No comments: