Thursday, September 24, 2026

Books read in 2026: No. 11 -- 20th Century Ghosts

by Joe Hill

Started: Sept. 10
Finished: Sept. 24

Notes: I've read a couple of novels and one collection of novellas from this author and generally enjoyed them. Some of his writings I found quite good, others simply okay, but nothing ever bored me or left me disgusted. All that being said, I thought I try out this collection of his short stories, especially as it came from early in his writing career about 20 years ago. Hill is mainly known as a horror writer, but he has been known to pen other works, so this could prove interesting.

Mini review: Not a lot of horror here, but there is some on the leaner side of darkness. Most of these were a little too meandering and literary for my taste, and too often I felt the stories simply ended without a real climax. The final story, "Voluntary Committal," is the longest and perhaps the best of the lot, a little long-winded but more moody than dark and somewhat similar to the works of the author's father (Stephen King). "The Cape" is also another that I might call the best of these tales, at first seeming like a tale of wonder but eventually in a flash becoming a tale of darkness. I didn't love this collection, but I didn't hate it, though I think I've determined I like Hill's longer works more than his shorter ones.

No comments: