Monday, February 07, 2011

Books read in 2011: No. 9 - The Illustrated Man

by Ray Bradbury

Started: February 7
Finished: February 14

Notes: I was not a big fan of Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles, but his Something Wicked This Way Comes is one of my favorite novels. So, I thought I'd give the author another chance. Just getting into this collection of short stories, so far I'm liking what I'm finding. Also, as with so many books, this one has a slightly interesting story about my finding of it. I was traveling in North Carolina and stopped in a small town's Amish grocery store to see what kind of goodies I could find. I was surprised to find a small used book store within the Amish store, but not so surprised that most of the books were either cook books or religious materials. However, there was a small section of other books, at that's where I found this one. Only cost me a couple of bucks, too, and apparently it was once a school library book, at least according to some markings on the inside of this small hardback.

Mini review: Some great stories here. I liked it much more than The Martian Chronicles. Still, I believe Bradbury's short stories are best when sample only three or four at a time. A whole book of his stories tend to blur together in my mind, and don't quite have the whallop individual stories would.

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

Great book indeed. You might try his "S is for Space" and "R is for Rocket," some early collections. I liked Martian Chronicles very very much, but it's the poetry of it I think. I did like Something wicked this way comes even better.