Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Books read in 2012: No. 78 -- Sword Bearer (Book One: Return of the Dragons)

by Teddy Jacobs

Started: Sept. 24
Finished: Sept. 26

Amazon link: Sword Bearer (Return of the Dragons)

Notes: After my recent readings, I'm still in the mood for some action fantasy. So, I open ye olde Kindle and what do I find but this little gem. It'll be my first time reading this author, so let's see what he can do. The story is about a young man who is the son of a diplomat, and discovers he has a secret past and great powers.

Mini review: I found this novel less of an adult fantasy tale and more like a young adult story, but I don't conclude that that was a bad thing, just unexpected on my part. I do not know if the author intended for this to be a young adult novel, but it reads that way with the 16-year-old protagonist telling the tale in first person, and the lack of overly violent or sexual scenes. Again, there's nothing wrong with any of that, just not quite what I was expecting. The writing here is quite clear and simple, though not simplistic, and I noted very few mistakes, no more than I'd find in most traditionally published novels. The only problem I had with this story is I felt there were too many questions left unanswered. Much of the background, the history and characters and other elements, are not really explained at all, and I found this frustrating. Would I suggest this novel for reading? Yes, especially if one is in the mood for some heroic fantasy that isn't so dark and not so consistently action-oriented. I gave this one a solid four out of fives stars. I look forward to reading its sequel at some point.

No comments: