Sunday, November 04, 2012

Books read in 2012: No. 86 -- Doctors Who Killed

by R.J. Parker

Started: Nov. 3
Finished: Nov. 4

Amazon link: DOCTORS WHO KILLED - Case Summaries of 5 Doctors Who Were Serial Killers

Notes: I consider myself fairly well read in non-fiction concerning serial killers, and to my knowledge this author is the only indie writer working almost solely in that field. So, I thought it time I checked out some of his work. I chose this particular e-book because it contains killers with whom I am familiar, and those with whom I am unfamiliar, giving me an opportunity to judge the writer's investigative skills and writing abilities.

Mini review: I have to say, the writing here is quite solid, better than many non-fiction books about serial killers, even those often written by professional journalists. That being said, there's not a lot of depth here. Don't get me wrong, because there's still plenty of information and much of interest to be found here. If one is seeking a basic overview of doctors who have been serial killers, this is a good place to start. But if one wants something more in depth with a lot more details, the reader is probably better served by finding individual books about each killer. This e-book reminded me of some of the non-fiction works by Mike Newton and other writers who have penned various encyclopedias about crime and criminals. For the casual crime reader who doesn't want to get bogged down by pedantic material, such an e-book as this one is darn near perfect.

1 comment:

Serial Killers said...

This book sounds like it has the potential to shake anyone who reads it and also can ingnite curiousity to read more about the same in detail. It is worth mentioning that any book who can make anyone to intiate a research about the issue raised in book then this book is worth reading. At he same time it is also a good idea to suggest this book to others like you did.