Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Books read in 2013: No. 3 -- Sadie When She Died

by Ed McBain

Started: Jan. 6
Finished: Jan. 8

Amazon link: Sadie When She Died

Notes: I've long been a fan of Ed McBaine's 87th Precinct novels, and the first half of last year I read a ton of them. Then when I was starting to feel somewhat burnt out on the series, I cut back. So, it's probably been six months or so since I've read such a novel (I could look up the exact dates on this blog, but I'm too lazy at the moment). I was starting to feel like saying 'hello' to some old friends, and that's what it feels like with me for these 87th Precinct novels, which is why I'm reading one now. In this one, apparently the murder is easy to solve, with finger prints and a confessed killer, but apparently there's more than meets the eyes, and that's what keeps the boys of the 87th Precinct guessing and busy.

Mini review: As always, a good one. There were two main story lines, common enough for McBain, both tiddying up within the final pages, also common. Lots of swift, quick dialogue, which I love. I wouldn't say this was the best 87th Precinct novel I've read, but I've really not read one I didn't appreciate. Each one of these novels is quite a bit different than all the others, and this was the case here, which is something I like about this series of novels, that despite the large number of them, the same old plots and events don't turn up time and time again.

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

I've only read a few of these. Enjoy them but I get burned out quick and have to skip for a while before going back.