Monday, February 03, 2014

Books read in 2014: No. 6 -- Brood of Bones

by A. E. Marling

Started: Jan. 27
Finished: Feb. 2

Notes: This novel is from another newer fantasy author I've noted on the Amazon rankings, and the story of an enchantress with a sleeping disorder who cannot become pregnant while all the other women in her city seem to become pregnant all at once drew my attention further. As I always enjoy reading and studying authors new to me, this one was a natural.

Mini review: This was quite the good story. Mostly a mystery with a touch of brief action here and there. Very clean text, some interesting characters, good writing, interesting world though the reader doesn't get to see a lot of it. The use of magic here isn't totally unique, but it's definitely different than what you see in most fantasy tales. The main character is intriguing, though scenes are often stolen by a secondary character, one you're never sure is a good guy or a bad guy, or a bit of both mixed. Can I recommend this one? Yes, I can.

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Nice cover too.

Ty said...

Yes, it is the striking cover, isn't it? And it fits the story and the main character perfectly.