Thursday, February 06, 2014

Books read in 2014: No. 7 -- Dead Things

by Matt Darst

Started: Feb. 3
Finished: Feb. 5

Notes: I'll let the blurb for this zombie survival novel speak for itself: "Nearly two decades have passed since the fall of the United States and the rise of the church to fill the void. Science is heresy, and the dead must be decapitated to avoid an unholy resurrection. When a plane crash strands Ian Sumner and a band of survivors miles from the fortified walls of the church state, survival depends on secrets too dangerous to speak aloud."

Mini review: This was a pretty good book, and from a fellow Kentuckian, to boot! The plane crash survivors stranded in zombie territory was an interesting take on this genre, and a former U.S. where the churches have risen to political power was a fresh approach, especially as the author shows reasoning for why this happened within his world. There are also several intriguing scientific reasonings about the cause behind the zombies, and I ate all that up with a spoon. There were a couple of things here I didn't care for, one being the use of occasional flashbacks, though I realize that's a personal preference. Also off a little to me were a few events toward the end which seemed a little convenient, perhaps a little rushed, leaving me to want more of the blanks filled in. Still, my complaints are meant to be minor, because over all this was worth my time to read and I enjoyed it. I'll be looking for more from this author.

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

Definitely sounds like something I might like.