Monday, May 27, 2019

Beer of the Week: Steinlager

Beer score: 3.0

Company: Steinlager

ABV: 4.8
IBU: Not available

This beer comes to us from New Zealand, but to be frank, it tastes like a traditional, trashy, premium American beer.

In the glass it has a dirty straw color to it, but it does have a decent foamy head if you like that kind of thing. The scent is a light golden honey, so that's not bad, but it's not very strong. Upon drinking, at first it gives off a sort of hearty bread taste but that quickly turns into a bland corn taste. Weak on the way down, but at least you could drink a number of them without having to worry too much about filling up or getting too drunk.

Would I drink this? Not regularly, no. But beers like this do serve a purpose. I call them lawn-mowing beers. No, I'm not going to break out a bottle of Steinlager if I'm wanting to experience something different or special, but on a hot day after mowing the yard, or maybe while grilling out in the heat, yes, I could see turning up a bottle of this stuff.

I know, not much of a recommendation, but as I said, beers like this do have their place. However, that place is not regularly for me.

No comments: