Monday, April 18, 2022

Books read in 2022: No. 12 -- Familiar Spirits

by Leonard Tourney

Started: April 12
Finished: April 18

Notes: It's another historic mystery novel, which is what I've been in the mood for of late. This one is set during the Elizabethan era.

Mini review: The year is 1602 and in a small town in England a teen girl is accused of witchcraft and then hanged. Soon thereafter her visage is seen about town and it follows that a pair of women are accused of having raised the witch's spirit, leading to the two women being accused of witchcraft and put on trial. Yet not all is as it seems and the local constable and his wife put themselves to the task of unraveling the mystery behind it all. In truth, I didn't care much for this one until the ending. The plot is strong enough and the writing fair, but until the very last 30 pages or so I really didn't care about any of the characters. The ending made up for a lot, but I'm still not sure I'll give this writer another read in the future. Not caring for the characters left me with something of a slog of a read.

No comments: