Tuesday, August 01, 2023

Books read in 2023: No. 24 -- The Clan of the Cave Bear

by Jean M. Auel

Started: June 26
Finished: August 1

Notes: I've been meaning to read this novel for decades after recalling its popularity in the 1980s, as well as the popularity of the movie at that time. The notion of a novel set in prehistoric times has intrigued me ever since, so now I get to experience the book.

Mini review: A long book, in places more wordy than I generally appreciate, but it was worth it. Tens of thousands of years ago a girl who is homo sapiens is separated from her people but found by Neanderthals who then raise her. The tale is more complex than what I've written here, but I don't wish to spoil anything for those who might read this one. I will say this book could be a boon for historical and fantasy writers, as it shows cultures usually unfamiliar to most of us and the novel tells how they survived, mated, worshipped, etc. Now whether this information is correct or not is besides the point I'm making, because historical studies have continued since this novel was published 40 years ago, because writers could still learn from this information how to form their own unique cultures and how to write about survival.

No comments: