Thursday, December 21, 2023

Books read in 2023: No. 41 -- A Dance of Cloaks

by David Dalglish

Started: Dec. 15
Finished: Dec. 21

Notes: I've been meaning to read more of Dalglish's work, so why not try what is possibly his most popular novel?

Review: I can see why this novel helped spur Dalglish's writing career. The action here is near constant, and when there's not direct action there is plenty of intrigue and skullduggery. This was a fun novel to read, but I do have a few quibbles. For one thing, there are a lot of characters to keep track of, and while I don't normally have a problem with that, here I felt there was not enough space spent with each character to differentiate them from one another, with one or two exceptions. Too many of the characters here seem like one another, so that didn't make it easy to separate them when a chapter or three had gone by without a particular character or characters making an appearance. But if you enjoy action-oriented fiction, this is a novel for you. If you shy away from lots of killing and blood and gore, this one probably is not for you, though I wouldn't call this the darkest novel I've ever read.

No comments: